Are you interested in your Wiki becoming a member of the Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance? Check out these following guidelines to see if you should apply for membership:
- Your wiki's subject must be Nintendo-related. If it isn't, we may be willing to offer another manner of affiliation. For guidance on which games on Nintendo platforms qualify, please refer to this list.
- You and your staff should be familiar and enthusiastic about your subject's franchise.
- You should be prepared to pay for your own hosting, as NIWA is not a wiki host. We are willing to recommend hosts and inform you of hosts with whom we've had bad experiences.
- Your wiki should be operational, have a "complete" layout, and a competent active staff. A complete layout should be functional, aesthetically pleasing, and have all obvious features in place. No "under construction" or "content coming soon" labels should be present. Structural, Administration, and Policy Pages should be clearly defined and accessible.
- Your wiki must be independent, meaning it is not hosted by any of the following: Wikia/Fandom, ShoutWiki, WikiFoundry, etc. Please be aware that this is not a full list. If you are concerned over whether or not your host is independent, please contact us.
- You should have at least 75 articles, with a stub ratio of no more than 3 stubs for every 1 article (or <75% stubs).
- Your wiki should have a bit of "staying power" - that is to say, you must prove you have what it takes to last a while. Minimum wiki age of six months, with legitimate recent activity.
- Your wiki may not conflict with any existing NIWA Member Wiki's legitimate coverage without that wiki's expressed permission. Please contact a conflicting wiki ahead of time to verify conflict and work out a resolution.
What we are looking for in a new member is one of the following:
- An already established wiki that is independent or planning to go independent. If you are not independent, but have a strong community and desire independence, we have many helpful people who can help you find hosting. Check out our forums to find help!
- Fresh start-up wikis that are being run with obvious passion and enthusiasm by people already somewhat established in that wiki's fandom. For example, Zelda Universe didn't create Mario Wiki - they created Zelda Wiki!
- Fresh start-up wikis started as internal projects of NIWA by the staff of existing NIWA member wikis. Examples include WiKirby and Metroid Wiki. These will come up within the staff itself, so don't worry about this too much.
Please note that simply following these suggestions does not guarantee membership - these are just a few basic guidelines to follow before you even apply. Just as well, if we see a wiki has great potential but is lacking in just a few small ways, we can always work something out. Good luck, and we hope to hear from you soon.
Please note that these guidelines are subject to change without notice. If you are interested in joining or affiliating with NIWA, please contact us.