Nintendo Power/Volume 1
|first issue out||Volume 2 ->|
Nintendo Fun Club members received a copy of this issue for free.
- 1 Features
- 2 Now Playing
- 3 Video Shorts
- 4 Pak Watch
- 5 Player's Contest
- 6 Player's Forum
- 7 Next Issue
Super Mario Bros. 2
A full, 20-page feature on Super Mario Bros. 2.
- 6-7: A general overview of the game
- 8-9: How to Play (A basic overview on how to play the game)
- 10: A list of items
- 11: A list of enemies
- 12-13: An art page showcasing the characters' abilities
- 14-25: An extensive walkthrough of the first two worlds of the game.
Second Quest of Zelda
A section featuring tips based on letters from players who are having trouble clearing certain parts of games.
- Ghosts 'n Goblins - Shows the stage select and gives a strategy for passing by the Red Devil.
- Ring King - Describes the function of the "p" item.
- Metroid - Shows the locations of all power-ups and items in the Brinstar area.
- Super Mario Bros. - Describes the "unlimited 1-Up" trick and how to make the fireworks appear at the end of a level.
- Kid Icarus - Describes how to defeat Hewdraw.
- Rygar - Describes the function of the Pegasus' flute.
- Castlevania - Gives advice on how to defeat the bosses.
- Ikari Warriors - Describes how to access the Continue and Stage Select modes.
- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! - Gives advice on how to beat Mike Tyson.
Finally, the end of the section advises players to either send a request for advice to Nintendo through mail, or to call the Nintendo Game Counselors hotline.
Howard & Nester
The first Howard & Nester strip, which tells players how to find Levels 8 and 9 in The Legend of Zelda.
Gives cheat codes for various games, including:
- Ice Hockey - Codes to disable the goalies and enable "Super Speed Puck".
- Contra - A code that lets the player start with 30 lives.
- Gun.Smoke - A code that lets the player start the game with a machine gun with unlimited ammo.
- Rad Racer - A trick that lets the player start from any stage, as well as view the ending.
- Athena - A trick that lets the player receive powerful weapons at the beginning of the game.
- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! - A code that allows the player to play "Another World Circuit", a more difficult version of the original game.
- Arkanoid - Describes how to start from a different stage.
- Ring King - Gives an invincibility code, in which the player's energy does not decrease.
- Ninja Kid - Describes how to find the hidden characters Ninja Girl and the Princess.
- Zanac - Describes how to get certain hidden items and powers.
A feature on Double Dragon, describing how to play and giving a walkthrough of the game's four missions.
A basic description of Gauntlet, including character descriptions and a rundown of the first four stages.
A rundown of Contra, including a basic walkthrough of Zones 1 and 3.
Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy
A brief look at various recommended games, including:
- Legendary Wings
- Iron Tank: The Invasion of Normandy
- Dragon Power
- Metal Gear
- Bionic Commando
- City Connection
- Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road
- Star Force
- Freedom Force
A look at upcoming NES games:
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Terra Cresta
- 1943: The Battle of Midway
- Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
- World Games
- Blaster Master
- Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf
- Empire City: 1931
- Marble Madness
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
- Life Force
- California Games
By filling out the included Player's Poll (a survey on reader satisfaction and asking what they would like to be featured in future issues) and mailing it to Nintendo, one could enter the Nintendo Power Player's Poll Contest. Prizes include:
- Grand Prize (1): Any 10 NES games.
- 1 in 10: A copy of Super Mario Bros. 2
- 1 in 50: An exclusive Nintendo Power jersey.
Covers various other topics, including:
- The release of Dragon Quest III in Japan.
- The Vindicators arcade game.
- Advertisements for The Official Nintendo Player's Guide and Zelda Tips & Tactics
- Coverage of Konami's Top Gun Video Game Shoot Out Contest.
- Overviews of popular films, including Vibes, Big Top Pee-wee, and Eight Men Out.
- Celebrity profile of Kirk Cameron and his sister Candace
A section including letters from fans and responses from Nintendo.
A section showing off fans who have obtained high scores in certain games. Players can mail in their scores to Nintendo Power to possibly appear in the next issue.
A section showcasing particularly-skilled fans.
A section which shows the top 30 best NES games as voted by fans:
- The Legend of Zelda
- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
- Super Mario Bros.
- Kid Icarus
- R.C. Pro-Am
- Ice Hockey
- Rad Racer
- Top Gun
- Double Dribble
- Pro Wrestling
- The Goonies II
- Kung-Fu Master
- Wizards & Warriors
- Rush'n Attack
- Mega Man
- Ikari Warriors
- Spy Hunter
- Ghosts 'n Goblins
- Side Pocket
- Mario Bros.
- Section Z
- Ring King
The general results are based upon the results of three other polls: Player's Picks, Pro's Picks, and Dealer's Picks.
Among the features that will be included in the next issue are:
|first issue out||Volume 2 ->|