PlatinumGames Inc. (プラチナゲームズ株式会社) is a Japanese development studio based in Osaka, Japan. It was founded by and is largely made up of former Capcom developers. The company's name comes from the studio's desire to "provide gamers worldwide with games of the highest quality", their logo being derived from "Pt", the atomic symbol for platinum.
PlatinumGames was formed as the result of a merger between Seeds Inc. and ODD Inc.; ODD Inc. (initially ODD Ltd.) had been founded in February of 2006 by former Capcom employee Tatsuya Minami, while Seeds Inc. had been formed on August 1, 2006, by former major Clover Studio employees Atsushi Inaba, Shinji Mikami, and Hideki Kamiya after they had left Capcom. Seeds merged with ODD in October of 2007, and the newly-merged studio would change its name to PlatinumGames.
At the end of March 2016, Tatsuya Minami stepped down from his position as president and CEO and left the company, and was succeeded by executive director Kenichi Sato.
In February of 2020, as part of a series of four major announcements from the company, PlatinumGames announced that they would be opening a new development office in Tokyo. Originally slated to open in April 2020, the opening of PlatinumGames Tokyo was delayed to August due to the COVID-19 pandemic and national state of emergency declaration in Japan.
Games published by Nintendo
PlatinumGames on other NIWA Wikis:
- ↑ ABOUT OUR NAME. PlatinumGames Inc. Official WebSite. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- ↑ Clover Reborn. IGN (February 15, 2007). Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- ↑ Seeds officially changes their name to Platinum Games. Destructoid (September 28, 2007). Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- ↑ President of Star Fox Zero dev PlatinumGames steps down. Polygon (April 21, 2016). Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- ↑ PLATINUMGAMES TOKYO. PlatinumGames. Retrieved January 30, 2021.
- ↑ From President Sato's Desk: A Cautious Advance. PlatinumGames (August 7, 2020). Retrieved January 30, 2021.