My Nintendo users can obtain benefits such as discounts, free game downloads, Nintendo 3DS Home Menu Themes, downloadable art or wallpapers, digital rewards specific to Nintendo phone games (like specific statues for Super Mario Run), physical rewards (examples: the Earthbound Beginnings Notebook or the Pokémon Legends: Arceus - Pikachu/Eevee Mask Cable Holder) by spending Gold and Platinum Points, which can be earned by completing Missions. Gold Points are earned by purchasing digital copies of games (either on the Nintendo eShop or using Nintendo's online game store) and the amount of points earned depends on the amount of the purchase.
Platinum Points are earned by interacting with Nintendo products and services.
- Signing onto the Nintendo eShop, or formally Miiverse (after waiting a certain period of time, it is possible to repeat the action and gain points again.
- Completing missions on Nintendo smartphone games such as Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, and formally Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, Miitomo (both defunct). In particular, it's been regarded that completing the Fire Emblem: Heroes is an efficient means to obtain My Nintendo points quickly, although these points for each mission can only be acquired once.
- Official Nintendo websites with hidden challenges (e.g. the Mario Golf: Super Rush website at https://mariogolf.nintendo.com/) may give a small number of points (e.g. 100 points), however redeeming the points may be region locked to the region of the website.
- Redeeming certain codes (such as a Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition pack-in bonus code).
- Following a Nintendo Switch update, it is possible to earn Platinum Points through missions which regularly refresh (such as weekly); this may be a task such as backing up save data to the Save Data Cloud, playing a Nintendo Switch game which can connect online, or playing a certain game on Nintendo Switch Online's emulators (Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, etc.). It is possible to sync these with My Nintendo; and the points earned from other means above are combined with the points earned from Nintendo Switch. Additionally, the Platinum Points can be redeemed for rewards specific to Nintendo Switch without accessing the My Nintendo website, like purchasing custom user icons (or parts for the icons to mix together) pertaining to different characters or elements from Nintendo series.
Like with Club Nintendo, Points that are not spent within six months are done away with. When redeeming points for a reward the oldest points are used first.
Three digital copies of games available exclusively through My Nintendo include:
- Flipnote Studio 3D (at least North America and Europe) (previously available on the defunct Club Nintendo on February 10, 2015 for North America). Following this, users who registered for a Nintendo Account between March 31, 2016 and April 30, 2016 were able to download it for free. From December 1, 2016 (NA) and January 1, 2017 (EU) it was rereleased again for 200 points.
- My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Released on March 30, 2016 (NA and EU), Japan received it on March 18, 2016. It was never released outside of My Nintendo before this, making it more strictly unique to the service compared with the other two games on this list. (Japan, North America and Europe: 1000 Platinum Points)
- A Nintendo 3DS digital version of the Nintendo DS game WarioWare: Touched! (as Nintendo DSiWare), never officially released as a Nintendo 3DS download before. (North America: 1000 Platinum Points)
|Nintendo online services|
• Famicom Network System (Famicom, 1988)|
• Satellaview (Super Famicom, 1995) (scheduled satellite broadcast/download, but not Internet)
• Randnet (Nintendo 64DD 1999)
• Mobile System GB (Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance w/Mobile GB Adapter and mobile phone, 2001) • Online Nintendo GameCube gameplay (Nintendo GameCube, w/GameCube Broadband Adapter/Modem Adapter, 2002)
• Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL optionally w/Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, Nintendo DS & DSi Browser, 2006)
• Nintendo Network (Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, Web, 2012/3)
• Nintendo Switch Online (2018; Nintendo Switch)
• Websites (Nintendo web browser games)